The Great Book Of Anchorages and offer an excellent complimentary continental breakfast in the morning. There was a grill that offered sandwiches and light fare, but sadly, it is closed. There was just not enough business to make it profitable for the owners to continue. The drive off the main road to the marina is a good walk for exercise, and the goats that run to the fence as you walk by are entertaining. We suspect they usually get treats from passersby, but we had none at the time. The next morning after a yummy breakfast, and with fuel and water topped off, we headed out of the basin.
The Great Book Of Anchorages, Norfolk to Key West). We had not been in this anchorage for a while and it's always good to revisit. It's almost like experiencing the places again for the first time. We found a good spot in the center of the creek and dropped the anchor. Our practice is to always back down on the anchor once the proper scope has been let out to be sure it's set. This time we were dragging, so it required the anchor be hauled back up to try again. It appeared we had snagged something which was preventing the anchor from setting. Snags along these rivers and creeks are not at all uncommon and a trip line connected to the anchor can sometimes be a good idea. This time it wasn't necessary and we pulled up the anchor, moved to a different spot and it reset just fine. Bull Creek is another one of those beautiful and peaceful anchorages along the Waccamaw River, and protection from any wind direction can be found, depending on where along the creek you anchor. By now, the winds were starting to blow themselves out, and the next morning the plan was to move on to Georgetown.
TGBOA, Norfolk to Key West), we took a few more detours to check anchorage depths. The morning was drizzly and foggy, but the winds were much lighter. By the time Beach House reached Georgetown, the rain was coming down pretty good. Soon after settling in, of course, the rain stopped. Our main reason for stopping, aside from the fact that we really like Georgetown, was to see for ourselves the aftermath of the devastating fire that took out an entire block of the historic waterfront. We also wanted to check on the progress of those affected by the fire in relocating their businesses, including another vendor of our books, Harbor Walk books. Additionally, Claiborne Young had asked us to write up a report for his website, Cruiser's Net. The buildings that had burned were little more than a pile of rubble, but almost every business had relocated and was either open or would open soon. It was fortunate that no one was injured, but since there were apartments above the businesses, some folks found themselves in need a of new home. We spent the evening enjoying the shops and a restaurant in the downtown area to celebrate Susan's birthday. This would be a quick stop since we wanted to get down Winyah Bay and back on the ICW before the next round of high winds. Timing is also important in transiting Winyah Bay. The tides and currents can be very strong, and heading down the bay against the current can be a long, slow trip and if the wind opposes the current - a very bumpy ride indeed.
TGBOA, Norfolk to Key West). Dewees Creek is little more than a deep swath cut through the marsh grass of Hamlin Sound. There are sections that measure 80 feet deep. During high tides, the marsh grass can be under water and it appears your are anchored in the middle of a lake. And at high tide, an accurate chartplotter is needed to navigate the channels. We found a spot that was only 10 feet deep at low tide in which to anchor. There is no protection here from winds, but good protection from waves. The night was uneventful other than the rain which had plagued us for days, and the next morning we were underway as soon as we had sufficient light. The stretch between Dewees Creek and Charleston Harbor has some very shallow spots, especially near the Ben Sawyer Bridge, that have not been dredged for a very long time.
TGBOA, Norfolk to Key West) to set out a wind event that would last for the next couple of days. Entering the creek is straightforward, but on the starboard side at the first curve is a shallow bar that is dry at low tide but covered at high tide. The tidal range here is 7 to 8 feet, and the winds can affect the tides even more. To our surprise, two other boats followed us in and anchored farther upriver. The anchor set quickly in the mud, but with the required scope to allow for high tides, the creek was looking a little narrow for the forecast winds. Reports said we could expect 25- to 35-knot winds with higher gusts. We anchored behind a treeline, but it was some distance off the creek and the winds would blow across the creek instead of up or down. Our concerns were justified when the next morning Beach House was sitting with her stern almost in the marsh grass and in the mud. The winds were a steady 20- to 25-knots, but we knew we needed to re-anchor. Not a fun prospect in these kinds of winds, let alone in a narrow creek. There was no danger, but if the anchor should break loose, it could get serious. Moving slowly and carefully, the anchor came up and we moved farther up the creek just as the two other boats that came in were leaving. We found a wider spot about a quarter mile in that was a bend in the river where the wind direction would be better. (Meaning it was coming up the river and not across it.) There is a house on the river and a stand of trees very close behind the house. When the tide and current switched we would be sitting sideways in the current but at least not being pushed into the river banks. This proved to be a good move and the next two days were comfortable despite the windy conditions.
TGBOA, Norfolk to Key West) brought Beach House to Lady's Island Marina, where we found Beach House and also where we called home for over a year and a half. (That's another long story, which we have written about extensively in this blog.) We spent a week here catching up with old friends, then continued on.