Splash Time But Not Spring Time

Soooooo much is going on right now that we sometimes wonder when we will ever get anything done. But the biggest project right now is over, and that is getting the boat splashed and settling back aboard. The new bottom paint and boot stripe look great and we have received some positive comments around the yard on the changes and how great the paint turned out. Getting splashed is just the beginning for us this next week or so.

The prop and rudder look pretty snazzy painted with the Pettit Zinc Paint. The zincs are all in such great shape that we did not have to replace any before the boat was launched. And in the marina we are in, this is a good testament to the electrical work we have done inside the boat. I don't expect a lot from this paint, although there have been many at the yard that swear it works very well. We will have to wait until next fall to see, but after the total failure of the HawkSpeed we applied last season (we are still waiting to hear from the manufacturer), we figure it can't be a whole lot worse. The Chesapeake will also be a good testing ground for the ablative paint.

No matter how many times we have the boat hauled, the time in the Travelift is always a bit anxious. It is one of those situations you have no control over and have to depend on someone else. The boat was lifted early to allow time to paint the bottom of the keel and under the spots where the support pads were. We have had the marina relocate them for us in the past and painted the spots well in advance, but the additional charges don't justify the extra time and we don't see any difference if the paint goes on a hour or so before launch than if it is done the day before.

All went well and the boat did not get dropped. Once it was in the water, but still in the slings, a complete check for any leaks is important. Especially the new thru-hull in the aft head. All of the underwater valves are opened and checked for leaks in the valves and the hoses. The dripless shaft seal is burped to let any air out and make sure there is water in the bellows. Ordinarily this would also be the time to start the engine. But this time, because we were forecast for temps in the 20s for the rest of the week, we decided to walk the boat into the slip and leave the engine winterized. The slip was only a half a dozen down from the Travelift pit. With everything looking good, the straps for the lift were lowered and I could here the sigh of relief from Beach House as she settled into her natural environment.

The marina staff helped me manhandle her into her spot. It took a few minutes to get the dock lines situated and the fenders in place. We still had not raised the mast, it was a bit heavy for just Susan and I, so we waited until we had a few friends available to help. I still need to devise some way for us to easily lower and raise it if we plan to do the Great Loop. That is on my list. In the meantime, the next few days will be pretty hectic moving out of the house we take care of over the winter months and getting settled back on the boat. Then the projects can start all over again. It seems to be a never ending cycle, but we know that the day is coming when this site will be full of cruising tales and not so much work. The light is out there.


  1. Hi Chuck and Susan
    I really enjoy your fixer up segments.I'm doing
    a 34 chb in Vancouver Canada. My question is, how did you lower the mast that the radar is on?
    And are those wood 2by4s holding it up?

  2. We use a purchase with a 4 to 1 tackle to raise and lower the mast. And yes it is a couple of 2X4s bolted together to brace it once it is down. Good luck with yours. Chuck


Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.