Our solution was to buy a heavy duty sewing machine from Sailrite and make our own covers. We started small with the easy stuff and slowly progressed to the more complicated projects. We have made a couple of our own biminis and they may not be perfect and as good as the pros might do, but they sure look pretty good and we get lots of compliments. We wrote about the bimini project in this post. A recent project brought all of this home once again. We needed a replacement cover for the seats in the flybridge after the two-year-old vinyl covers completely wore out. Finding these anymore is difficult and they just don't last long. Of course, this time we did not even consider getting someone else to do this for us.
There is no room at all on the boat to lay out material of this size so the dock becomes my cutting floor. It does require some sweeping and cleaning of the dock before I get started. If the wind is blowing, I also need a few sandbags to keep everything in place. Using a yardstick and some chalk, or a chalkline for really long cuts, the bigger pieces are cut to size, allowing for any strange shapes and adding for the seams and bottom hem.
Sailrite has been a great machine and has paid for itself many times over. We buy most of our thread and materials from them also. All of our covers are sewn with a UV resistant thread, and very seldom have we ever had a problem with the seams coming apart because the thread has deteriorated.
One more final fitting, a little more adjustment and the job is done. We are hoping that this one will last a lot longer than the store bought one. This project took a total of about two hours. The amount of time it takes depends on the complexity of the cover. But it's fun and we like the feeling of doing it ourselves and really like the money we save.